|Archiving status||In progress...|
|IRC channel||(on EFnet)|
Yahoo! Groups is Yahoo's email service; it's the result of the acquisition of eGroups and some other Yahoo! stuff.
It's been stable for a long time (since the late 90s), long enough for some specialised software to be developed to do backups of it. (Not many other websites can say that.)
As of 2019-10-16 the directory lists 5619351 groups. 2752112 of them have been discovered. 1483853 (54%) have public message archives with an estimated number of 2.1 billion messages (1389 messages per group on average so far). 1.8 billion messages (86%) have been archived as of 2018-10-28.
The following graphs are slightly outdated:
Private groups of interest
|Group||Notes||Admin contact attempted?|
|numberactivation||see all the press coverage||Not yet; FOI request made|
|hpslash||see Fanlore page||Not yet|
Potentially relevant: List of groups with Fanlore pages (contains both private and public groups)
There’s a convenient JSON API. May require logging in and joining a group to use all endpoints:
- Group Information: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/concatenative/
- List of Messages: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/concatenative/messages?count=100
- Specific Message: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/concatenative/messages/1/
- Raw Message Content: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/concatenative/messages/1/raw – note that there seems to be a message encoding problem
- List of Topics: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/concatenative/topics?count=100
- Specific Topic: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/concatenative/topics/1
- List of Tables: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/database
- Specific Table: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/database/1/
- Table Content: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/database/1/records
- List of Files: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/files
- List of Attachments: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/attachments
- List of Polls: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/polls?count=100
- Specific Poll: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/polls/3549106
- List of Photos: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/photos
- List of Albums: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/albums
- Specific Album: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/albums/1841906391
- List Moderators: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/members/moderators
- Members With Incorrect Emails: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/members/bouncing
- List of Links: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/groups/a_furrys_world/links
- Search: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/search/groups?offset=0&maxHits=20&sortBy=&query=abcdef – sort can be one of OLDEST, RELEVANCE, MEMBERS, LATEST_ACTIVITY, NEWEST
- Categories: https://groups.yahoo.com/api/v1/dir/categories/0/?start=0
Note that all paginated responses are limited to the first 500 results and do not return anything new beyond that.
Python Yahoo! Group archivers
- yahoo-group-archiver scrapes a group using the JSON API and (for private endpoints) the two cookies Yahoo uses to verify a logged-in user. Relevant forks include Frankkkkk and nsapa. Needs merging. Various branches have support (largely untested) for file attachments, photos, links, folders, and events.
- YahooGroups-Archiver is similar, but scrapes only messages (not files or any other data). It is not currently under active development.
- yahoo-groups-backup scrapes a group using Selenium, storing message info and metadata (both rendered message body and raw email) into a Mongo database. It also provides a script to dump its data to static HTML pages that can be viewed in the browser.
- Yahoo Group Archiver: Perl, defunct.
- Is there a Windows thing out there?