HISTORY IS OUR FUTURE
And we've been trashing our history
Archive Team is a loose collective of rogue archivists, programmers, writers and loudmouths dedicated to saving our digital heritage. Since 2009 this variant force of nature has caught wind of shutdowns, shutoffs, mergers, and plain old deletions - and done our best to save the history before it's lost forever. Along the way, we've gotten attention, resistance, press and discussion, but most importantly, we've gotten the message out: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.
This website is intended to be an offloading point and information depot for a number of archiving projects, all related to saving websites or data that is in danger of being lost. Besides serving as a hub for team-based pulling down and mirroring of data, this site will provide advice on managing your own data and rescuing it from the brink of destruction.
Currently Active Projects (Get Involved Here!)
Archive Team recruiting
Warrior based projects
- Google+: Google finally realised they failed. Shutting down by April 2019. Archive Team's largest grab to date with 675 TB saved and counting. IRC Channel #googleminus.
Yahoo! SmugMug decided to kill it after finding Yahoo!'s plans to do so before they were bought by Verizon. IRC Channel #flickrfckr.
- Tumblr: Yahoo! considered killing it, now Yahoo has been acquired and Verizon declared war on NSFW blogs. IRC Channel #tumbledown.
- NewsGrabber: Saving all news articles. Help with server power or by finding more newssites. IRC Channel #newsgrabber.
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam.
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as xporting Mediawiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam.
Active Projects Not Yet Ingesting
- ZAM Network: Setting several sites on fire in autumn 2018.
- Mozilla Addons (aka addons.mozilla.org, AMO): deleting legacy addons in October 2018. IRC Channel #outofammo.
- UOL Forums: The "Brazilian AOL" UOL will nuke their big forums on 7 January 2019. IRC Channel #UhOhL.
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
- Textream: Yahoo! Japan killing yet another platform... Large Japanese discussion forum going down in early January 2019 (?). IRC Channel #textreamer.
- Google News Archive: Let's store all newspapers at Google, WCGW? IRC Channel #papersplease.
- Quizlet: Flashcards and other learning tools IRC Channel #quizletusin.
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. Project currently paused. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
- Audit 2014: It's time to verify our shit. IRC Channel #auditteam. THIS PROJECT IS ON HIATUS AND WILL BE RETURNED TO AS A AUDIT2018.
- Google Groups: "Gone within a year" (SketchCow, 2016-06-07).
- The Escapist: Staff activity dwindling due to layoffs, remaining supporters are doing it for free. IRC Channel TBD.
- YTMND: Supposed to be "shutting down soon" in 2016, but still up 2 years later. IRC Channel TBD.
- DevPort: This portfolio SaaS provider has reportedly been having infrastructure issues, and removed their social media accounts. Possible impending shutdown.
ArchiveTeam uses the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
What is What
- Deathwatch is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
- Fire Drill is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
- Projects is a comprehensive list of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
Some Starting Points
- Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution.
- Formats will familiarise you with the various data formats, and how to ensure your files will be readable in the future.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.
Quote of the Moment
"[Yahoo!] found the way to destroy
the most massive amount of history
in the shortest amount of time
with absolutely no recourse"
Internet Atrocity! GeoCities' Demise Erases Web History
By Dan Fletcher, TIME Magazine, Monday, Nov. 09, 2009
In The Media
- Steven Melendez, Gizmodo, 2019-04-03
- Cory Doctorow, Boing Boing, 2018-12-19
- Ana Valens, The Daily Dot, 2018-12-19
- Samantha Cole, Motherboard, 2018-12-19
- Mike Masnick, Techdirt, 2018-12-18
- Sean Captain, Fast Company, 2018-12-12
- Ronaldo Gogoni, Meio Bit, 2018-01-05
- Brinkwire, 2018-01-05
- Nathaniel Artosilla, Christian Post, 2018-01-05
- Jordan Devore, Destructoid, 2018-01-04