HISTORY IS OUR FUTURE
And we've been trashing our history
Archive Team is a loose collective of rogue archivists, programmers, writers and loudmouths dedicated to saving our digital heritage. Since 2009 this variant force of nature has caught wind of shutdowns, shutoffs, mergers, and plain old deletions - and done our best to save the history before it's lost forever. Along the way, we've gotten attention, resistance, press and discussion, but most importantly, we've gotten the message out: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.
This website is intended to be an offloading point and information depot for a number of archiving projects, all related to saving websites or data that is in danger of being lost. Besides serving as a hub for team-based pulling down and mirroring of data, this site will provide advice on managing your own data and rescuing it from the brink of destruction.
Currently Active Projects (Get Involved Here!)
Archive Team recruiting
Warrior based projects
- NewsGrabber: Saving all news articles. Help with server power or by finding more newssites. IRC Channel #newsgrabber.
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam.
- WikiTeam (WARC format): Saving wikis and their external links for the Wayback Machine. IRC Channel #wikiteam.
- Toys "R" Us: On chapter 11 life support after falling down the stairs into a pile of debt, old age complications may make it flatline soon. Babies and children weep. IRC Channel TBD.
- Storify: Now this is the story all about how Storify wants us to take a minute to preserve their content before they pack their suitcase on May 16, 2018. IRC Channel #horrify.
- NeoGAF: Was undergoing reddit-like riots due to a sexual harassment scandal involving the site owner. IRC Channel #neogaffe.
- The Escapist: Staff activity dwindling due to layoffs, remaining supporters are doing it for free. IRC Channel TBD.
- LiveJournal: Very old, widely regarded as in decline, and has a lot of important stuff buried in it. IRC Channel #recordedjournal.
- DevPort: This portfolio SaaS provider has reportedly been having infrastructure issues, and removed their social media accounts. Possible impending shutdown.
- Tumblr: Yahoo! considered killing it, now Yahoo has been acquired. IRC Channel #stumblr.
- Ownlog: Ownlog is losing popularity and support from its owners. IRC Channel #pwnlog.
- Google Groups: "Gone within a year" (SketchCow, 2016-06-07).
- The Pirate Bay: Recently came back up, grabbing an archive for sanity's sake. IRC Channel #yarharfiddlededee.
- Blog.pl: Large Polish blog hoster being dismantled end of January 2018. IRC Channel #blog.pls.
- Batoto: Manga library being set on fire on January 18th, will be ashes by the 25th. IRC Channel #botato.
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. Project currently paused. IRC Channel #archiveteam.
- Flickr: Yahoo! decided to kill it, now Yahoo has been acquired. IRC Channel #flickrfckr.
ArchiveTeam uses the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
What is What
- Deathwatch is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
- Fire Drill is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
- Projects is a comprehensive list of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
Some Starting Points
- Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution.
- Formats will familiarise you with the various data formats, and how to ensure your files will be readable in the future.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.
Quote of the Moment
"[Yahoo!] found the way to destroy
the most massive amount of history
in the shortest amount of time
with absolutely no recourse"
Internet Atrocity! GeoCities' Demise Erases Web History
By Dan Fletcher, TIME Magazine, Monday, Nov. 09, 2009
In The Media
- Kyle Orland, Ars Technica, 2018-01-04
- Kyle Orland, Ars Technica, 2017-09-07
- Dani Deahl, The Verge, 2017-07-17
- Felix Knoke, Engadget DE, 2017-02-17
- Bregtje van der Haak, VPRO Backlight, 2014-09-11
- (Also available at the Internet Archive)
- Jasper Bakker, Webwereld, 2013-11-29
- Cyrus Farivar, Ars Technica, 2013-10-21
- Ernesto, TorrentFreak, 2013-10-20
- Hieronim Walicki, CHIP.pl, 2013-06-18
- Trevor Owens, The Signal, Library of Congress, 2013-06-11