Difference between revisions of "Lycos Europe"
|Line 51:||Line 51:|
=== IQ ===
=== IQ ===
[[User:Tom Morris|Tom Morris]]
[[User:Tom Morris|Tom Morris]] Lycos iQ UK. , .
Revision as of 19:17, 23 February 2009
Lycos Europe have "decided to discontinue all unprofitable activities". This means a substantial chunk of their user-content sphere, including:
- Lycos Europe member pages (Tripod) - http://members.lycos.co.uk/* - Attempts to register now return the following dismal message:  - Deadline 28th Feb
- Lycos iQ (Question/Answer community) - Deadline 25th Feb
- Email and SMS services - see  - Dead as of 15th Feb
- Fotomania - Photo community (in some locales) - Dead as of 15th Feb
- Love @ Lycos (Dating) - Dead as of 15th Feb
- Jubii.com holdings (apart from the original Danish portal, which seems to have been bought. ) specifically:
".co.uk" used above for convenience, but the same goes for hosted content across seven or eight countries: UK (.co.uk), France (.fr), Germany (.de), Netherlands (.nl), Spain (.es), Italy (.it), Denmark (.dk), Switzerland (.ch) (?) or Austria (.at).
This is AOL Hometown all over again, but now we have a few weeks to work with.
Tripod pages should be first priority: small files, high uniqueness. Then Jubii hosted files, if we can find them. Then Fotomania and Jubii TV.
Not much we can do for the emails. But a bit.
- Email: Lycos are providing a software tool that communicates with their mail servers and downloads your stuff. Requires Outlook. 
- Jubii TV - Cunning use of wget will probably work.
- Hosted sites - wget, if you can figure out where to point it.
On death row. Deadline: February 28th 2009.
Who's Working On It?
Teaspoon - is harvesting the sites listed in the UK directory.
Please help: wget -i <pick a file>
- Germany is huge
- Netherlands is huge
- France is really huge
- Denmark is tiny, and archived (but the more copies the safer)
Tom Morris has completed Lycos iQ UK. Once the site has gone down for good, I'll prepare the archives for public release.