A screen shot of the GitHub home page taken on 07 August 2014.
|URL||• • •|
|Archiving status||Not saved yet|
|IRC channel||(on EFnet)|
- See also GitHub Downloads
GitHub is a software repository powered by Git. Does not seem to have any site issues, often 24 hours uptime (see site status). Looks pretty sunny at the moment, but when disaster strikes it would be a problem archiving the private repositories.
As of 12th August 2012: 1,963,652 people hosting over 3,460,582 repositories 1,117,147 public repositories are forks, which greatly reduces the amount of data required to archive it.
"git clone" is the simplest one. However, it does not get some project data that is not stored in git, including issue reports, comments, pull requests.
github-backup runs in a git repository and chases down that information, committing it to a "github" branch. It also chases down the forks and efficiently downloads them as well.
githubarchive.org is creating an archive of the github "timeline", that is, all events like git pushes, forks, created issues, pull requests, … .
Github Replacement Engines
If we ever have to archive the data out of Github, the data will need to be exportable to a Github-style engine.
Currently, the best Github-style engine that has a Wiki, issues, Git Repo hosting, and is free and open source to use is GitLab. The engine is used by and paid for by many major organizations, so it is likely to live on in a stable way.
We will need a complete migration system to move a git repository and all related Github service information of a repository to GitLab.
Things to Scrape
- Git Repository - Accomplished by github-backup
- Forked Repositories - Accomplished by github-backup
- Notes on Commits/Lines of Code - Not supported by github-backup yet. API support was just added for it.
- Github Gollum Wiki - No tool yet, but just clone the whole thing, and then push it to GitLab.
- Issues + Comments - Accomplished by github-backup
- Milestones - Github Backup currently does not archive this yet.
- Labels - Github Backup currently does not archive this yet.
- Hooks - Needs some kind of tool to archive Github Hooks
- Releases - Tags on Github can have binaries attached. These are of high priority to archive.
- • • •