|Archiving status||In progress...|
|IRC channel||(on EFnet)|
GeoCities Japan is the Japanese version of GeoCities. It survived the 2009 shutdown of the global platform.
On 2018-10-01, Yahoo! Japan announced that they would be closing GeoCities at the end of March 2019. (New accounts can still be created until 2019-01-10.)
- DNS CNAMEs for geocities (JSON format) (dead link): https://transfer.sh/QYWEG/geocities-dns-data
- Several records available at: https://anonfile.com/z1z62ak8ba/records_zip
- geocities_jp_first.txt: First level subdirectory list under geocities.jp, compiled from IA CDX data. 566,690 records in total.
- geocities_co_jp_first.txt: Same as above, for geocities.co.jp. 12,470 records in total.
- NOTE: The majority of sites under geocities.co.jp are not first-level sites, but "neighborhood" sites which are second-level (there could be, in theory, 1.79M of them; how many actually exist unknown), see explanation below.
- blogs_yahoo_co_jp_first.txt: Same as above, for blogs.yahoo.co.jp. 646,901 records in total.
- geocities_co_jp_fields.txt: List of neighborhood names under geocities.co.jp.
- Individual websites are listed in the following format: "http://www.geocities.co.jp/[NeighborhoodName]/[AAAA]" where AAAA ranges from 1000 to 9999.
- include-surts.txt: List of subdomains that should be allowed by your crawler.
- geocities.jp grab from E-Shuushuu Wiki, crawled as job:cu6azkjwy45qmo1wwdxsdfusj: https://pastebin.com/raw/17hLpsN5:
- geocities.jp grab from Danbooru, crawled as job:5x0pf7wloqgeqc2r9rddino2l: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/DoomTay/12a146e35fcee745b764ba3ae3c7545f/raw/863a021e43e0c93cb6f8943725a2ef5d1a699477/geocities-danbooru.txt
- geocities.co.jp and missed geocities.jp URLs grabbed from the above targets, crawled as job:31ges4c4c96k140sp6zah5vcc: https://transfer.sh/CLtZc/geocities-patch.txt (dead link)
- geocities.co.jp and geocities.jp crawl from Miss Surfersparadise, crawled as job:e8ynrp5a7p4vwjkyxw9eph9p0: https://archive.org/download/archiveteam_archivebot_go_20181021150002/urls-transfer.sh-geocities-misssp.txt-inf-20181007-102152-3ntkw-urls.txt
- Hidden-entry sites (Importance: Low): There are a few sites that do not use index.htm/index.html as their entry points; as a result, first level directory access will fail to reach them.
- However, as long as there are other geocities sites linked to them, they should be discoverable by the crawler.
- So the only problem are those pages whose inlinks are all dead. There should be very few of those. If we want to be absolutely sure, we can run a diff between IA's current CDX and that from the crawl.
- Notice that this is not a problem with the neighborhood sites as we can enumerate the URLs.
- Deduplication (Importance: Low): If we are going to release a torrent as we did with Geocities, they it may be worth to dedup. Most likely won't be a major difference.
- Final Snapshot (Importance: Moderate): The page contents may still change between now and March 31 2019, so we need to do another crawl when the time is near.
- Note that a lot of users will be setting up 301/302s before the server shuts down. According to Yahoo, we'll have until Sep 30 2019 to log down those 301/302s.