Archive Team recruiting
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam (on EFnet).
- FTP: Download all the FTP sites! IRC Channel #effteepee (on EFnet).
- NewsGrabber: Saving all news articles. Help with server power or by finding more news sites. IRC Channel #newsgrabber (on EFnet).
Active Projects Not Yet Ingesting
- Sketch: Sony doesn't seem to like their user's sketches. Shutting down 2019-09-30. IRC Channel #SketchedOut (on EFnet).
- Reddit: Banning communities that generate bad PR for Reddit Inc. IRC Channel #shreddit (on EFnet).
- Angelfire: Angelfire is a web hosting service that contains big chunks of early WWW history and has no proper backup. IRC Channel #angelonfire (on EFnet).
- JamiiForums: the Tanzanian government would like this gone. IRC Channel #jammedforums (on EFnet).
- GitHub: Embraced-uh, I mean, bought by Microsoft. IRC Channel #getgit (on EFnet).
- Imgur: Image hoster decided that using it for hosting images is not permitted. IRC Channel #imgone (on EFnet).
- LiveJournal: Very old, widely regarded as in decline, and has a lot of important stuff buried in it. IRC Channel #recordedjournal (on EFnet).
- Ownlog: Ownlog is losing popularity and support from its owners. IRC Channel #pwnlog (on EFnet).
- The Pirate Bay: Recently came back up, grabbing an archive for sanity's sake. IRC Channel #yarharfiddlededee (on EFnet).
- Valhalla: Where to store what even the Internet Archive doesn't have space for? IRC Channel #huntinggrounds (on EFnet).
Recently finished projects
- Facepunch Forums: Contained ~33 million posts and shut down on 2019-06-12. IRC Channel #faceplant (on EFnet).
- YTMND: Shut down on 2019-05-12. Content and database were donated to Archive Team. IRC Channel TBD.
- Google+: Google finally realised they failed. Shut down on 2019-04-02. Archive Team's largest grab to date with just short of 1.4 PiB (1424 TiB) saved. IRC Channel #googleminus (on EFnet).
- GeoCities Japan: It's GeoCities all over again... The Japanese version shut down on 2019-04-01. IRC Channel #notagain (on EFnet).
Hiatus / Missed the Mark
Yahoo! SmugMug decided to kill it after finding Yahoo!'s plans to do so before they were bought by Verizon. IRC Channel #flickrfckr (on EFnet).
- Tumblr: Yahoo! considered killing it, now Yahoo has been acquired and Verizon declared war on NSFW blogs. IRC Channel #tumbledown (on EFnet).
- Textream: Yahoo! Japan has killed yet another platform... Large Japanese discussion forum went partially down in early 2019-01 (?). IRC Channel #textreamer (on EFnet).
- Google News Archive: Let's store all newspapers at Google, WCGW? IRC Channel #papersplease (on EFnet).
- Quizlet: Flashcards and other learning tools IRC Channel #quizletusin (on EFnet).
- yuku: Lately yuku is very unstable and hosting thousands of forums. Project currently paused. IRC Channel #archiveteam (on EFnet).
- Audit 2014: It's time to verify our shit. IRC Channel #auditteam (on EFnet). THIS PROJECT IS ON HIATUS AND WILL BE RETURNED TO AS AUDIT2018.
- Google Groups: "Gone within a year" (SketchCow, 2016-06-07).
- The Escapist: Staff activity dwindling due to layoffs, remaining supporters are doing it for free. IRC Channel TBD.
- DevPort: This portfolio SaaS provider has reportedly been having infrastructure issues, and removed their social media accounts. Possible impending shutdown.
ArchiveTeam uses the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info - New Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/JDD5DKa