|Project status||Closing (for real this time)|
|Archiving status||Partially saved previously, new things Not saved yet|
|Project tracker||bloopertv (previous; broken link)|
|IRC channel||(on EFnet)|
Blip.tv, or now Blip, is a video hosting website for original web series. Video creators, or producers, can apply for an application for their content to be monetized. Blip.tv retains a portion of the advertising revenue.
blip.tv is a free videoblogging, podcasting and video sharing service.
Our goal is to change the world by bringing excellent free video publishing services to people who are unable or unwilling to get outlets from major media organizations in the United States and throughout the world. Our passion is democratization. Our principles are the rules we live by.
If you don't have a blog we'll give you one, and if you have one already we'll make it a video blog.
On May 28th, 2014, Blip sent out an email to account holders informing them that video uploads will be disabled after July 7th 2014, and their accounts will be deleted on September 1st 2014.
Blip.tv Acquired By Video-Blog Killers Maker Studios
Posted on Oct 8 2013 - 3:12pm by Zennie Abraham
Blip.tv, the video sharing site that was created by a team lead by Mike Hudack and Dina Kaplan, is dead. It’s now called “the old Blip.tv” and has been replaced by something owned by that horrible video-channel eating company network Maker Studios. (Mike and Dina left Blip in 2012.)
And if you’re asking “Is that the same Maker Studios that took YouTube Partner Ray William Johnson’s Google AdSense account and never gave it back to him? The same Maker Studios that pushed Pew Die Pie at us on YouTube? The same Maker Studios that was founded by Danny Zappin, Lisa Donovan (LisaNova on YouTube), Scott Katz, Derek Jones and Will Watkin? The same Maker Studios that’s involved in a nasty lawsuit between Mr. Zappin and the others, including his ex-girlfriend Lisa Donovan?
The answer is yes.
Almost when people thought the site could survive yet another "shutdown", Disney (through Maker Studios) is finally going to be landing the killing blow on August 20th.
How can I help?
You can run the ArchiveTeam Warrior! Check out that page for more info about running it. (Alternatively, you can run the scripts manually.)
We need to save about 228,000 videos before November 7th.
How big are the files?
File sizes range from 5 MB to 2 GB. If you have slow upload speeds, you can still help. A small contribution still helps along the way! Still not convinced? Then help us spread the news and get others to help.
I'm running the warrior but it just says "Starting WgetDownload"
It currently does not show your download progress, but don't worry, it is actually downloading. You can check by looking at the bandwidth graph in the lower left corner of the page.
- On pages like http://blip.tv/comedy-videos there is pagination but the page links are only '#' and need js to work
- Each anchor tag does have a data-results_page value that appears to carry the url information. Here is an example:
<a class='currentResults' href="#" data-results_page="/channel/get_directory_listing?channels_id=46&page=1">1</a> <a class='advanceResults' href="#" data-results_page="/channel/get_directory_listing?channels_id=46&page=2">2</a> <a class='advanceResults' href="#" data-results_page="/channel/get_directory_listing?channels_id=46&page=3">3</a>
- Each page of results in a category is only 8 shows at a time.
- Each show has x many episodes
- Some shows have rss feeds. Example http://blip.tv/ylse/rss
- RSS feeds only show a partial list of episodes. http://blip.tv/schlomo/ has more episodes than listed in the RSS feed.
- If you have the url of a video's page http://blip.tv/zomblogalypse/zomblogalypse-series-trailer-5617646 for example get-flash-video can download the video in a nice mp4 file.
- robots.txt crawl delay is 1 second.
- Here's some 20,000 blip.tv urls from URLTeam: http://paste.archivingyoursh.it/raw/gidaqotimo.sm
- The sitemap is http://blip.tv/sitemap/xml/bliptv-sitemap-index.xml which links to more sitemaps.
- Contains 3,397 shows that consist of 1 or more episodes.
- Here is a pretty printed example of one of the sitemap files. http://paste.archivingyoursh.it/vomilosedu.xml
Here are all the video urls for blip.tv from the sitemap files, sorted and de-duplicated. Total count 228,133. https://archive.org/details/2013_10_09_bliptv_urls
A logistical snafu occurred and the project slipped through the cracks. (Only one project leader existed and this leader disappeared.) Only 7TB of 70TB was saved. These videos were added to the existing bliptv collection.