Alive... OR ARE THEY
Like many sites before them, these places indicate a sunny outlook, a clean bill of health and a total sense of "all systems go". But as we've found out from those many sites before them, fortunes can change overnight.
Archive Team considers these sites specifically of interest because they solicit so much content, contain so many works and projects by a wide group of people, or have the internet particularly dependent on them. Consider this a fire drill.. know what you can do to get your data off these sites and back them off for later.
- Facebook seems stable at the moment.
- Friendfeed is a happy clam.
- Google wants you to think they will be here forever.
- Twitter is tweaking away.
- Wikipedia will surely be here forever and ever!
- Delicious loves to change their API, which has a side effect of making it difficult to back up.
- whitehouse.gov is up and running for #44, but we've lost all info for #43. (See also: kottke and Read Write Web.) We also want to watch out for site changes / disappeared pages that were embarassing or whatnot.
- Infoanarchy The site is functioning again. Might be worth backing up, though. For months, a simple database error that could be fixed with one command KO'd this site unexpectedly with a wealth of P2P information lost.