|Archiving status|| 1.0: Lost|
1.5: Not saved yet
2.0: Not saved yet
Bebo was a popular social network founded by Michael and Xochi Birch back in 2005. The platform celebrated its people, their friends, and creativity.
Here’s a short history on the company:
- 2005 - Bebo, an early social network was founded by husband-and-wife team Michael and Xochi Birch in January 2005 at their home in San Francisco.
- 2005 (9 days after launching) - Bebo hits 1 Million Users.
- 2005 - After numerous questions about why the name is Bebo, Michael makes up an answer (Blog Early Blog Often). Real answer? Bebo was short, snappy, and utterly nonsensical.
- 2006 & 2007 - We built Bebo mobile, groups and the infamous whiteboard amongst other features.
- 2008 - Sold to AOL.
- 2010 - Sold to Criterion Capital.
- Today - Bought back by the original Founders.
- Tomorrow - We start re-inventing Bebo.
Archive Site Structure (Bebo 1.5)
- Michael Birch's
- archived profile: http://archive.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1
- Wall: http://archive.bebo.com/Wall.jsp?MemberId=1 (NSFW)
- Comments: http://archive.bebo.com/c/profile/comments?MemberId=1
- Blog: http://archive.bebo.com/Blog.jsp?MemberId=1
- Poll: http://archive.bebo.com/Polls.jsp?MemberId=1
A sampling of 1000 random IDs between 1 and 11100000000 revealed 0% of profile IDs are valid with a margin of error of 3%. This test appears to be correct as Wikipedia states there are ~11 million registered accounts which means 0% of profile IDs are valid.
How can I help?
The project can be run in the Warrior VM.
The scripts also can be run manually. Instructions are located at github.com/ArchiveTeam/bebo-grab.
A project began to save some profiles but it was stopped because they kept banning us from brute-forcing all the profiles. But what was saved was uploaded to archive.org however: archiveteam_bebo