HISTORY IS OUR FUTURE
And we've been trashing our history
Archive Team is a loose collective of rogue archivists, programmers, writers and loudmouths dedicated to saving our digital heritage. Since 2009 this variant force of nature has caught wind of shutdowns, shutoffs, mergers, and plain old deletions - and done our best to save the history before it's lost forever. Along the way, we've gotten attention, resistance, press and discussion, but most importantly, we've gotten the message out: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.
This website is intended to be an offloading point and information depot for a number of archiving projects, all related to saving websites or data that is in danger of being lost. Besides serving as a hub for team-based pulling down and mirroring of data, this site will provide advice on managing your own data and rescuing it from the brink of destruction.
Currently Active Projects (Get Involved Here!)
Archive Team recruiting
Warrior based projects
- TwitPic: allegedly acquired and possibly to be rearranged by Twitter. We're saving it in its current state. IRC Channel #quitpic.
- URLTeam: URL shorteners were a fucking awful idea. IRC Channel #urlteam.
- Halo: Downloading all the read-only data from Halo. IRC Channel #yolohalo.
- Microsoft Clip Art: Microsoft is phasing out its clip art collection. IRC channel #clipfart.
Help us: ☞ Download and run your warrior ☜.
What's on: online tracker.
- AOL: Climbing into the decaying walled garden. IRC Channel #aohell.
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel #archivebot.
- Audit 2014: It's time to verify our shit. IRC Channel #auditteam.
- FTP: Download all the FTP sites! IRC Channel #effteepee.
- ISP Hosting: Finding ISP web hosting services before the Grim Reaper finds them. IRC Channel #webroasting.
- WikiTeam: permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam.
- Cobook: Acquired and being absorbed into FullContact. IRC channel #cookbook.
- TestFlight: Apple is crashing TestFlight on February 26, 2015. IRC Channel #crashed.
- Internet Centrum: Getting terminated on February 28, 2015. IRC Channel #internetcentury.
- Google Business Sitebuilder: Getting replaced by Google My Business on March 15, 2015. IRC channel #sitebreaker.
- Trovebox: Closing March 15, 2015. IRC Channel #treasuretrove.
- Music Unlimited: Getting phased out by Sony on March 29, 2015. IRC channel #limitedmusic.
- Ovi Store: Going away in the first half of 2015. Downloading all the things! IRC channel #downlovi.
- RadioShack: RadioShack is going bankrupt. IRC channel #unshackled.
- Panoramio: Google is migrating photos only (no metadata!) to Maps. IRC Channel #paranormio.
- exfm: Grabbing everything from archive.ex.fm. IRC Channel #exexfm.
- Orkut: Orkut got kut on September 30, 2014. It lives on as a public archive. IRC Channel #throatkut.
- Madden GIFERATOR: Grabbing Madden GIFERATOR from the clutches of EA. IRC channel #jiferator.
- Ownlog: Ownlog is losing popularity and support from its owners. IRC channel #pwnlog.
- Inkblazers: Running out of money, everything getting deleted on February 1, 2015. IRC channel #inkerasers.
ArchiveTeam uses the EFnet IRC network – irc://irc.efnet.org – webchat: http://chat.efnet.org:9090 – More info
Archive Team News
- July, 2013: Snapjoy died. We grabbed what we could.
- May, 2013: Xanga announces a "rehash" in the form of paid accounts, and a kickstarter.
- April, 2013: Yahoo still hasn't learned its lesson, and closes Upcoming.
- April, 2013: Telinco, Nwnet deletes ALL the things.
- March, 2013: Google decides RSS feeds is for hipsters, closes Reader.
- March, 2013: Formspring catches on fire.
- March, 2013: Yahoo burns the messenger.
- February, 2013: IGN is acquired by Ziff Davis, and announces the closing of 1up, UGO, and Gamespy.
- February, 2013: Posterous announces it's deleting history at the end of April.
- January, 2013: That took long enough! We've turned on new user account creation, with a "are you human" edit checker added.
- August, 2012: It's August Cleanup time! We're shutting off new user accounts while we clean out spam and generally shore up the ol' barge.
- May, 2012: Tabblo announces its closure scheduled for May 30th, giving its userbase just ten days of warning. Archive Team is on the case.
- May, 2012: Archive Team's save of Stage6, a defunct video sharing site run by DivX, Inc. is permanently preserved at the Internet Archive.
- April, 2012: 20 million Friendster accounts spanning 14 terabytes are successfully rescued for permanent storage by Archive Team.
- March, 2012: FortuneCity announced the end of its free-hosting model, threatening around one million user-generated websites.
- March, 2012: We've switched servers to one of those new-fangled hosting companies that aren't hacked. We're going to sell you a lot less in the way of medical supplies now.
- December, 2011: POE News says it will soon be nevermore: Announcement
- December, 2011: GamePro magazine halts publication and their website goes dark.
- November, 2011: Archive Team rescues over 1.3 million users' data from Splinder's closure.
- July 2011: Archive Team teaches you how to rescue data from Floppy Disks.
- May, 2011: Friendster is deleting everything at the end of the month.
- May, 2011: Archive Team keeps it classy at poetry.com.
- April, 2011: How about some Google Video?
- March, 2011: The 2011 Personal Digital Archiving Conference talks are available.
- February, 2011: Let's watch some Yahoo! Video
- December, 2010: Archive Team is Delicious!
- October, 2010: Archive Team offers Geocities as a torrent.
- December 23, 2009: Yahoo shut down starwars.yahoo.com. We got a copy.
- October, 2009: Geocities closing is definitely the top of the charts.
What is What
- Deathwatch is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
- Fire Drill is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
- Projects is a comprehensive list of AT endeavors.
- Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work.
Some Starting Points
- Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution.
- Formats will familiarise you with the various data formats, and how to ensure your files will be readable in the future.
- Storage Media is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.
Quote of the Moment
"[Yahoo!] found the way to destroy
the most massive amount of history
in the shortest amount of time
with absolutely no recourse"
Internet Atrocity! GeoCities' Demise Erases Web History
By Dan Fletcher, TIME Magazine, Monday, Nov. 09, 2009
Recently Ended Projects
- Google Reader - Grabbed 46M feeds before it closed July 1, 2013.
- Posterous - Blogging platform acquired by Twitter on March 12, 2012. Closed April 30, 2013.
- MobileMe - Apple's file storage and sharing service, which hosted over 200 terabytes of data, shut down on June 30, 2012.
- Tabblo - A site where users told stories with pictures. Closed May 30, 2012.
- FanFiction.Net - Around 7 million fan-fiction stories hosted on what may be the largest site of its kind in the world. They're not shutting down but Archiveteam has a copy "just in case".
- Geocities - We archived most of GeoCities mother fuckers!
- FortuneCity - It may be gone but we've still got it